Watson retires from Test cricket

Australian all-rounder Shane Watson has announced his immediate retirement from Test cricket after being dumped from the one-day side.

Watson admits he doesn’t have ‘the fight’ in him to reclaim his spot in the team, after being ruled out of the team to take on England on Sunday.

Another injury to his troublesome right calf was said to be the reason behind his axing.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


It’s being a tough year for Watson, especially during the Ashes series, where he was dropped after the opening Test in Cardiff and forced to watch on as Australia meekly handed back the urn with a 3-2 series loss.

He admits the retirement thoughts began to surface during that difficult period. He then wrestled with them daily for a month before everything crystalised for him this week.

“For the last month or something it’s been something I’ve thought about a lot,” he said in London prior to boarding a flight home to Sydney.

“I’ve been through a lot of different waves of emotion as well, of what the right thing is for myself, my family and most importantly the team as well.

“Over the last couple of days there was a lot of clarity of what the right decision was.

“I just know that I’ve given everything I possibly can to get the best out of myself.

“I just know it’s the right time to move on.

“I don’t have that real fight in me, especially in Test cricket knowing the lengths physically I have to go through as well as mentally and technically to be at my best again in Test cricket.”

The 34-year-old will continue to play Twenty20 and one-day cricket and has his eye on the World T20 tournament in India in March next year.

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments