Two cygnet siblings have found themselves at the Currumbin Wildlife Hospital after being fed bread by locals.
Dr Michael Pyne told myGC the bread made Sally and Sam very unwell. “The bread caused certain bacteria to grow in their gut that released a lot of gas so they were very bloated. They were in a bad way,” he told myGC.
Because the young pair were very ill, Dr Pyne said their parents had given up on them. “It’s a cruel world out there. In the wildlife world if your bubs are sick, you move on and start to produce some new bubs. We now can’t release these cygnets back to their parents, as they won’t want them there.”
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Dr Pyne told myGC that locals should feed ducks and swans deep green veggies. “Silverbeet and spinach – just cut it up nice and fine,” he said.
Learn more about Sally & Sam, see them swimming around their enclosure, and find out more about what to feed them in the video below:
For more information on the Currumbin Wildlife Hospital, visit: cwhf.org.au/