AS temperatures soar on the Gold Coast, pet owners are being warned to be aware of the dangers of heat stress.
RSPCA spokesperson Michael Beatty said several dogs succumbed to the heat in Queensland last year.
Two of them died after becoming entangled while tied up in the backyard, while a number of others died after being left in hot cars or on the back of utes.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Mr Beatty said a dog’s rope or a chain can easily become entangled in furniture or plants and that can be fatal if the dog is unable to reach its water.
“A dog can survive for days without food, but in these temperatures, if they don’t have shade or can’t reach water they’ll die,” Mr Beatty said.
“It’s far better to make the yard or courtyard secure and then it won’t be necessary to tether the dog in the first place.
“We also recommend that there are at least two to three containers of water in case one gets knocked over.”
Mr Beatty warned leaving dogs in hot cars or on the back of utes was another fatal mistake.
“People simply have to be aware of the dangers. If it’s thirty degrees outside, the temperature inside a car can potentially rise to well over forty degrees in less than five minutes,” Mr Beatty said.
“We tested a light coloured sedan and the temperature rose to 57 degrees in twelve minutes. Any animal left inside would have been dead.”
Mr Beatty said exercising dogs in the middle of the day could also be dangerous at this time of the year.
“They tend to overheat very quickly and once their temperature rises above forty degrees they can die,” he said.
“If a dog is suffering from heat stress it’s imperative to get its temperature down as quickly as possible.
“Hose them down with water and better still place ice packs on their head and stomach.
“It’s no good rushing them to the vet in a hot car because the chances are their temperature will continue to rise. Try to cool them down first.”