Woman dies after shampoo bottle was forced into her abdomen in horrifying sexual assault



A woman who died after a shampoo bottle was forced into her bottom was subjected to a ‘perverted sexual assault’ by a man who enjoyed ‘violent’ intercourse, a court heard.


Tragic Majella Lynch suffered horrific injuries and died from blood poisoning after a 400ml bottle of shampoo was pushed into her abdomen – prosecutors say by Daniel McBride.

The ‘fragile’ 51-year-old was taken to hospital with severe pains after being discovered by a care worker in her home, a court heard.

Despite doctors being able to remove the bottle, Miss Lynch, who was well known in her community for her help with homeless, later died from septicaemia.

McBride denies murder, and is on trial this week at Winchester Crown Court.

The jury at, of seven men and five women, was told in detail the particulars of the hideous sexual assault to which Miss Lynch was allegedly subjected.

William Mousley, prosecuting, said: “This was not self-inflicted, as she would have gained no sexual gratification from this.

“It is the prosecution’s belief that on April 18 the defendant visited her in the early hours of the morning. Blood containing his DNA was found in her flat.

“Nobody else could have been responsible for this perverted sexual assault. He had an interest in violent sexual activity and was in the mood for sex that night having had an argument with his girlfriend and being rejected by another female.

“He had also been drinking and taking drugs.”

Yesterday a reserve juror collapsed after hearing details of the case.

The court heard that previous lovers of McBride said he enjoyed rough, anal sex and had even left his own anus with tears and needle marks from where he had engaged in sexual activity on his own.

He claimed the needle marks were a result of injecting steroids.

The court heard how shortly after midnight on the night of the assault, McBride sent a text to his girlfriend saying, “I love you, and I always will, but I do not think we will work.”

He later sent a text to another person alluding to the fact he was under the influence of drink or perhaps drugs, jurors were told.

The court heard that McBride, from St. Denys, Southampton, initially denied having ever met Miss Lynch or having ever been to her flat in St Mary’s Road, in the same city.

Jurors were told how after evidence pointed towards the contrary, McBride admitted he had visited the flat but was just passing by when he heard her calling for help.

He alleged he had gone to her aid and called her an ambulance after she complained of having a sore stomach caused by a man upstairs.

He then claimed to have taken some cocaine in her flat, before awaking again later and leaving with a bag of beer which Miss Lynch had insisted he take with him.

Mr Mousley said: “It is the prosecution’s case that this version has emerged because he was faced with the evidence that he had been in the flat, and the prosecution’s case will be that he has invented a defence which he has tailored to fit in with the evidence by which he was then aware.”

The trial continues.