Woman fined after cigarette allegedly sparks large Nimbin fire

A WOMAN has been fined $2860 after her discarded cigarette allegedly sparked a massive blaze at a rural property in Nimbin yesterday.

Emergency services rushed to Arkinstall Road at Tuntable Creek about 11am, following reports of a fire.

Rural Fire Service crews managed to extinguish the blaze, which occurred in three separate locations within the property.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


A 46-year-old woman was located nearby and taken to Nimbin Police Station where she was interviewed by officers.

Police will allege the woman was walking through the property to get to Nimbin and discarded cigarettes without extinguishing them properly.

She was issued with a $660 infringement notice for discard cigarette on any land and a $2200 infringement notice for cause fire to the property of another.