A 29-YEAR-OLD woman has been diagnosed with an unidentified strain of meningococcal in Adelaide.
It’s the second confirmed case of meningococcal in metropolitan Adelaide in as many days.
In a statement today, SA Health said the woman was in a stable condition in hospital.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
“SA Health has identified multiple people who had contact with the patient, and four close contacts have been directed to receive clearance antibiotics,” the statement said.
On Wednesday, SA Health revealed a two-year-old boy was in a serious condition in hospital after he too was diagnosed with an unidentified strain of the invasive disease.
The toddler attended a child care centre in Para Vista and 64 people who had close contact with the boy were given clearance antibiotics.
In a statement, SA Health said no links had been established between the most recent cases.
There have now been 25 confirmed cases of invasive meningococcal disease in South Australia this year.
Of the 25 cases, 19 have been identified as being serogroup B, three of them have been serogroup W, and one serogroup Y, while the strains of the two latest cases are yet to be identified.
Meningococcal disease is an acute bacterial infection that can cause death within hours if it’s not recognised and treated in time.
Although the majority of victims go on to make a full recovery, 10 percent of those infected will die.
A further 20 percent are left with permanent disabilities ranging from learning difficulties, and sight and hearing problems, to organ failure, loss of fingers, toes, and limbs and significant scarring.
In Australia, there are five main strains of the disease, the most prevalent being serogroups B and W. Vaccinations are available for all five strains from your doctor.
In South Australia, free meningococcal B vaccinations are now available for babies and children aged between six weeks and four-years-old.
For more information on meningococcal, click here.