SURF Lifesavers have rescued two women who were sucked out to sea on a blow-up beach toy on the Gold Coast.
It’s understood the pair were playing around on an inflatable toy flamingo when the blow-up toy was swept up in a tidal current at Tallebudgera Creek on Tuesday afternoon.
The strong current sucked the two 22-year-old woman out of the creek’s mouth and into the ocean shortly after 2pm.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Surf Lifesavers were forced to use two jet skis to rescue the pair.
Thankfully, they were brought back to shore uninjured and without incident.
The incident has sparked a warning from Surf Life Saving Services co-ordinator Nathan Fife, who urged swimmers to be extra cautious when using inflatable beach toys.
“Swimmers need to be really careful of this happening to them because the wind can play havoc on those inflatable toys and if you get caught in a current, they are easily sucked out,” Mr Fife said.
— Surf Life Saving QLD (@lifesavingqld) December 19, 2017